Monday, March 29, 2021

Cubs Quarterly Volumes 10 - 19

 The Cubs introduced a new name and look to their program again in 1991.  This time the name and look stuck for a while, ten seasons.

The new name was "Cubs Quarterly" and that was a big improvement over the previously used "Cubs Magazine Scorecard."  The new look didn't come cheap, however, as the price of the program went up 50¢ to $3.00.

As the name implies, the season was split into quarters, sort of.  A six month season doesn't divide evenly into quarters.  So the editions were typically April - May, June - July, July - August, and September.


Posters were included in each of the 1991 editions.  The scorecard inside was a generic one.  If you wanted a real scorecard, the traditional four-page version was still being sold.


I'm missing the April-May edition.  I've shown pictures of the first two 1992 covers in a previous post as these were the programs that had a sheet of cards from Ballstreet Journal.


I've got all four of the 1993 programs.  How many of you remember that Willie Wilson spent some time with the Cubs?


These are the only versions from 1994. The strike wiped out the fourth edition.


Baseball returned to normal in 1995 and there were four issues of Cubs Quarterly.  I'm missing the second one.


This is my worst year of Cubs Quarterly, as I'm missing the second and fourth editions.


I am back to full strength in 1997, with all four copies in hand.


1998 was an interesting year.  The Cubs grabbed on to the two biggest stories of the season, Kerry Wood and Sammy Sosa.  The fifth quarter is for the NLDS.


The Cubs were pushing Sammy Sosa hard in 1999, putting him on the cover of three of the four programs.


The 2000 magazines were the last for Cubs Quarterly.  I'm missing the fourth edition.  If I had to guess I'd say Sammy was on the cover.  I can't imagine that he'd be left out completely.

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff. Like in the last post, I had a few of these, but have lost them to various moves and whatnot. Thanks for posting, really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete