Tuesday, January 10, 2023

1953 Red Man Tobacco Cubs

 Yesterday I had cards from 2022.  Today I have cards that are from 70 years ago!

Red Man Tobacco issued cards for four years, from 1952 through 1955.  The chewing tobacco company must not have liked the Cubs because over the four years and 204 total cards, just two belong to Cubs players.  Both of those came from the 1953 set.



The cards measure 3½" x 4" and came in a sealed wrapper that was attached to their tobacco pouches.  Cards that have the bottom tab still attached a worth a bit more than those missing it.  I went for the tabbed version.


2 comments:

  1. Maybe they felt Chicago wasn't their target market. Would be interesting to know what the team with the most cards was?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kind of surprised they didn't produce a card for Ernie in 1955. Regardless... I absolutely love the 50's Red Man sets. They're gorgeous and underrated among collectors (in my humble opinion).

    ReplyDelete