Friday, December 2, 2016

Then and Now Billy Williams

I've stayed away from Topps Now thus far.  The initial price per card scared me away, and then with the success the Cubs had, more and more cards were made and I quickly realized that I'd never be able to afford to catch up.

I did make an exception, though.


This was picked up for my Billy Williams collection.  It comes from the special Thursday Then and Now cards.  I got mine second hand, off of Ebay instead of from Topps, which I believe saved me a few bucks.

While I'm happy to add another Billy card, I'm still scratching my head Topps pairing of him with Ben Zobrist...

  • Billy spent almost his entire career with the Cubs; Zobrist has been with the team for one.
  • Billy was a left handed batter while Zobrist is  a switch hitter
  • Billy had a sweet swing, while Zobrist has that funky wiggle before he takes a rip.
  • Billy played left field while Zobrist spent most of the season at second base, with a little outfield thrown in.
  • Billy hit for power, averaging 28 homers per season, Zobrist averages ten less
  • Billy is in the Hall of Fame, Zobrist would only make the Hall of Versatility.
And what do they have in common?
  • Billy played for the Cubs, Zobrist played for the Cubs.
I guess that is good enough.


1 comment:

  1. I think it's exclusively because Billy played left field and Zobrist played left in the playoffs. If I remember correctly, the whole set was positionally based.

    ReplyDelete