Monday, August 16, 2021

All I've Got of Him: Jake Arrieta II

 I did one of these "All I Got of HIm" posts when Arrieta left the Cubs after the 2017 season.  I said then that I wished he be back but he wasn't worth the money he was looking for.  The Phillies should have listened to me because they paid him $75 million dollars for 22 wins.  That's nearly $3½ million per win.

The Cubs brought Arrieta back after Jon Lester signed with the Nationals.  I wasn't excited about the move at all.  I would have rather kept Lester.  The Cubs paid Arrieta $4 million this year and will pay him an additional $2 million to buy out his contract for next year.  The $6 million bought them five wins.  That was a bargain compared to what the Phillies paid.  But there were also 11 losses and an ERA of nearly 7 and as bad as the Cubs are right now, keeping Arrieta made no sense.  He was released.

Can we just forget that his second go-around even happened?  Let's focus on the first stint and it's 20 win season, Cy Young, 2 no-hitters, and one season of total dominance.

Below are the 112 cards in my Arrieta collection... 111 from round one and one more from 2021.



No comments:

Post a Comment