Friday, December 17, 2021

2021 Holiday Cubs

 Christmas is a little more than a week away?  Have you finished your shopping yet?

It is Merry Christmas to me as I picked up the Cubs cards in this year's Holiday set.

I have mixed feeling with this year's design.  The green and red stripes look great, very Christmas-y.  The candy cane stripes on the border are a nice touch too.  I think Topps went way too far when they added all the strings.  It's way too busy and distracting for my taste.

Holiday has become a de facto update set.  Its release date is several weeks later than Update and it includes several of the changes that teams made at the trade deadline.  For the Cubs that means no cards for Baez, Bryant, Rizzo, Kimbrel, and all of the other players that were dumped.  

They are replaced by players like Codi Heuer, Nick Madrigal, and Patrick Wisdom. And of course Topps had to include Brailyn Marquez, though by the time the checklist was assembled they knew that he would not be playing for the 2021 Cubs.









2 comments:

  1. I don't like the background design at all, it looks like they're all trying to break through a fence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your assessment. The strings are too much. Changing the honeycomb in the margins to little mini snowflakes would have been a nifty alternative.

    ReplyDelete