Saturday, July 7, 2012

Noticed Something New on the '52s

Take a look at two '52 Cubs and tell me if you notice something that seems like it doesn't belong on a Cubs card.






I never noticed it before, but when you see the two cards together, it seems to pop out...






....the sleeve patch.


So what is it? It's not this...





....the sleeve patch the Cubs wore starting in 1962. It's just a picture of a mitt. Why are they wearing a mitt?


In fact, why are the other teams wearing a mitt, too?


 
 

 


(actually, I'm assuming all the other NL teams wore it, though I couldn't find a card with a Phillie wearing one).


The answer....The National League was celebrating it's 75th anniversary in 1951 and all the teams wore this commemorative patch. There's no writing on the patch, no National League symbol; just a glove. It seems kinda plain, but I guess times were simpler back then.


As it turns out, the National League has worn anniversary patches a couple other times too. I'll have that in a few days.

 

5 comments:

  1. Cool. I even have the Edwards, I'll have to look at it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow agreed interesting find - to learn something new about a set 60 years later. Great post, job, detective work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There have been a few Ashburn cards showing him with that patch on his sleeve -- but none of those photos made it into the '52 Topps set. The Ashburn photo in the following link is the one that has made it onto most of his cards showing the patch:

    http://www.businessinsider.com/baseball-superstitions-rituals-2012-4?op=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! So now I can safely say that all of the NL team wore the patch. Thanks

      Delete