Friday, October 14, 2022

Campaneris is All Over 1973 Topps

 Today's post is totally non-Cub related.

I was paging through my 1973 Topps set yesterday.  That's what retired guys get to do... casually look over their sets whenever they'd like to!  One player showed up more often than I recalled.  Bert Campaneris showed up on seven different cards.  I doubt that there is a player that was on a 1973 card more often.

Campy Campaneris was a decent shortstop on some very good Oakland teams in the early seventies. He was a speedster and led the AL in stolen bases six times.  He was also a six-time All-Star.


This is his base card, which, obviously, every player would have had.


His second appearance is in the team card.  Again, this is pretty standard.


We see him a third time as he was the 1972 AL stolen base leader.  There are plenty of players that would be in three cards like this.  In fact, a few were on multiple league leader cards.


Here we have his fourth card, as he led off the sixth inning of game seven with a single.  He would later score the go-ahead run on a double by Gene Tenace.

 


These three cards show Campy's other appearances, all cameos on other players' cards.  Many of the action shots in the 1973 set were taken at the two Bay Area ballparks.  That is why you'll see lots of Giants and A's.  But Campaneris was the winner as he showed up three different times.

3 comments:

  1. I wrote a similar post, but I didn't focus on the '73 set, probably because I hadn't completed it yet.

    https://nightowlcards.blogspot.com/2020/05/this-guy-was-everywhere.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if that is some sort of record pre-1990 baseball card sets

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been toying with the idea of starting a Campaneris PC. Good to know that if I do, I have plenty of vintage cards to chase down.

    ReplyDelete