Thursday, December 14, 2017

More Cards Than Games

The Brooks Kieschnick post got me thinking.  I have 42 of his cards and he played in just 64 games for the Cubs.  Is there a player who played in at least 50 games, where I've got more cards than games he played for the Cubs?

I may have more than one, but I found a player that was in over 100 games and I've got way more cards than games played.

Mark Prior.

It was a perfect storm.  He's a starting pitcher, which keeps the number of games per year to the low 30s.  He was a stud rookie and a blossoming star, which meant he was in just about every set.  And the worst thing, he was often injured, which kept his game total even lower.

By the time his arm fell off in 2006, he had pitched in 106 games over five seasons.  I've got 144 Mark Prior cards in my collection.  That's 1.4 cards for every appearance.


3 comments:

  1. I immediately thought of Kyle Hendricks and Rob Z because Topps issues a myriad of rainbow parallels for everything they are in. And maybe Ian Happ, given he has all of the minor/major league cards plus Topps putting him in everything late (Update, etc). Also would Corey Patterson fit that bill? And I also thought about Schwarber, given he played just the first week of 2016 and wasn't in all 162 games last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun exercise. Position player would be tough.

    What about the other way, most games but fewest cards? Probably some older HOFers that don't get much cardboard love like a Cap Anson or Gabby Hartnett. Maybe Kessinger/Beckert for semi modern before the junk wax era?

    And I wonder which prospect you have the most of that never suited up for the Cubs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... there's got to be a modern day position player out there. Maybe somebody who was given a card, but never actually played for the Cubs during the regular season due to injury?

    ReplyDelete