Saturday, July 1, 2023

Comparing the Main Brands - 1994

 Year - 1994

Main Brands -  Topps, Donruss, Fleer, Pacific, Score, Upper Deck

Number of Players Included Among All the Sets: 39

Players Included in Every Set: 12

A sixth brand joined in 1994, Pacific.  Pacific put out some smaller sets like Legends and Senior League sets.  In 1993 they released a complete set that was geared toward the Hispanic market, as the cards were done in Spanish.  The 1994 set was their first mass-market set and it was bilingual.  

More brands means more cards and more players included.  But it also means a decrease in the number of players in every set.  Less than a third of the Cubs players with a 1994 card were in all six of the sets.  Its just a matter of odds, as the more brands means the more chance of someone leaving out a player.

Team cards made a return as they were put out by Score.  It had been a few years since anyone issued team cards.







































4 comments:

  1. Never saw most of these before. I only collected Triple Play in 1994. The difference for say 1991 and 1994 is overwhelming. Not set stands out and no set is really bad. It is a six way tie for best and worst set.

    Best card maybe Donruss Jose Vizcaino

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't know. I'd take the UD Vizcaino over the Donruss, but that's just me.
      Fleer is my favorite design of '94. This was the last set I tried to build as a youth. I finished it years later when I jumped back into the hobby a decade or so ago.

      Delete
  2. Squinty, squinty. Where's my magnifying glass? Just a few brands, yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shawon Dunston was only in 2 sets?

    ReplyDelete