Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Cards That Accurately Portray the Player: Andre Dawson

I've got 289 card of Andre Dawson, but it took no time at all to find the one card for him that, at least in my mind, accurately portrays him.  The card shows the one overriding memory I have of Dawson's time with the Cubs.

Its actually a little surprising that it was used on a card because the picture is a bit gruesome.


The cards is from 1987 Classic and it shows Dawson getting beaned.  It happened on July 7, 1987 as the Cubs were taking on the Padres.  Eric Show was the Padre pitcher and after Dawson was hit, the benches emptied as Dawson laid on the ground.  When he got up, though bloodied, Dawson went after Show.  It's ironic that the card is from Classic, because the July 7 incident is classic Andre Dawson.

Here's a clip with that shows the beaning and has Dawson's description of the event.


2 comments:

  1. I started really following the Cubs in 1987 and it was because of The Hawk. He became my favorite player. I remember watching the game on WGN and remember my brother and I just staring and then freaking out after he got hit. To a 10 year old, Sutcliffe was a hero for rushing in. Did Show mean to intentionally hit him? I don't think so (you don't go up and in to bean a player), but back then, to a kid who sees his favorite player knocked out like that, he was the worst of the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great card and great video -- thanks for sharing them. The video mentions Dickie Thon, and I'm preparing a post on him for my blog.

    ReplyDelete