Tuesday, September 18, 2018

H-O-L-S-U-M Let's Be Friends

When I was growing up in the late '60s - early '70s, there were three main bread brands that I can recall, Wonder, Butternut, and Holsum.  We were generally a Holsum family, with their bright orange bread wrappers.

I can also recall their TV commercials, with the jingle "H - O - L - S - U - M, Let's be friends!"

Fast forward to the late '80s - early '90s.  I was no longer a kid.  I was a husband, dad of two, and a teacher.  My family wasn't a Holsum family.  We were a "whatever was cheapest" family.  So I missed out that Holsum joined the baseball collection frenzy of the time.

For three years, from 1989 to 1991 they put out a 20 player Star Discs set.  The set was made by MSA, the company that made discs for Wiffle, Burger Chef, and a whole bunch of other companies in the late '70s.

The Holsum discs have a diameter of just 2 3/4". Like all the other MSA discs, these were licensed only by the players, so all of the logos are gone.

The Cubs landed one player on each of the checklists


Mark Grace was the Cubs 1989 representative.  



This is the Canadian version, distributed by Schafer's bread.



The 1990 discs were splashier than the 1989 version, and much better looking in my opinion.  MSA discs were typically pretty boring looking, so this is a step up.

2 comments:

  1. Not surprised these were made by MSA. I immediately thought of their 70's disc sets when I saw these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny they couldn't use the Cubs logo, but they could physically say "Chicago Cubs" on the disk. Nowadays its just Chicago, or on the radio when they can't say World Series because the product isn't an advertiser, they say 'The Fall Classic' or the Super Bowl is 'The Big Game'. Just a small note I caught on the disks. The photoshop work on the hats are pretty good.

    ReplyDelete