Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Ken Hubbs Peel Off Sticker

A few weeks ago I added the 1963 Topps Peel Off insert to my Ernie Banks collection. There were just 46 stickers in the set and only one more Cub, so I decided to get the other Cub.



Here it is. Ken Hubbs was an up and coming player in 1963, having won the Rookie of the Year in 1962. Topps was pretty quick in adding him to the checklist, skipping over other young Cubs stars Billy Williams and Ron Santo.

It's still surprising to me how many of these stickers have survived after nearly a half a century. I know that if I got one of these as a kid it would have been stuck to something. It's hard to believe that there were that many kids with the will-power to leave the sticker alone.

I was able to pick this one up for half the price of the Ernie Banks sticker. I was expecting it to go for at least the same price as the Banks, given the tragic end to the Hubbs story. But I think over time, he has become a forgotten player, and that keeps the price of his cards down.

No comments:

Post a Comment