Friday, October 26, 2018

Ten More Goudey Cards

My Goudey Cubs collection wasn't as complete as it needed to be and recently I got it up to snuff.

Upper Deck came out with a Goudey set in 2007. I got all of the Cubs cards and did the same with subsiquent releases the next two years. I was not really into the super old stuff, so the Goudey name was unfamiliar to me.  I found a reprint of the 1933 set and I thought I was all set.

I wasn't.

Goudey also has smaller sets that came out in 1934, 1935, 1936, and 1938.  Among the four years there were just ten Cubs cards.  But I needed to have them so satisfy my need to be complete.

To not break the bank I found reprints for the '34, 36, and '38 cards.

 
 
 
 
 

These are the 1934 cards.  Five of the six are "Lou Gehrig says" cards.  Interesting that Chuck Kline's card is not a "Chuck Kline says" card.


The 1936 design was pretty basic.  I wonder why they took a couple steps backwards.

 

In 1938 they went with the Heads Up cards.  The set has both plain and cartoon versions.  Frank Demaree was the lone Cub.

No reprints were to be found for the 1935 set, however.  Since there was just a single Cub card, I splurged and bought the real deal.



It's not in the greatest shape, but it is 83 years old.  And even though I needed one card, it's like I got four.  So if I divide the price by four, then it isn't such a bad deal.

Now I am Goudey complete!

2 comments:

  1. Neat idea to expand the collection! I would bet if you put it out there that you wanted the originals, there are enough bloggers and team collectors out there you could get those cards in trades or for decent prices. I found a 34 Goudey that was a mid-grade for a friend that set me back $10 shipped on an offer on Sportlots. I didn't need a PSA 10, didn't want a PSA 10, and paid a good price for it. Saying you could probably find your original Goudeys if you sent out feelers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1934 Goudey is such a beautiful set. One day I'd like to add a hall of famer from that set to my collection.

    ReplyDelete