Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Varied Colors: 1975 Fixed

Thought I was done with these, didn't you?

I thought I was done, too.  But I found a mistake with the 1975 set.

I was looking through the 1975 binder to get a list of all the different color combinations Topps used.  i was curious to see how many skipped the Cubs.  In doing so, I found a two different combinations that I had included as one.

 

I had these as Brown Orange.  I just assumed that the Stone card had a printing issue with the bottom.  Actually, the bottom for Stone's card is tan, not orange.  There was another Brown Tan card, too.

I went back and corrected the set composite.


The 1975 Cubs set has 14 color variations, not 13 as I had in the original post.

But 14 out of how many total combinations?  Turns out that Topps had 18 different color combos, and four didn't include any Cubs cards.

The Cubs missed out on...


...Orange Yellow,


 ...Yellow Blue,


...Red Yellow, and...


...Red Blue.  And of course, which combo would have made the most sense for the Cubs?

Red Blue!

4 comments:

  1. Well... 660 isn't divisible by 18, so that means there aren't an equivalent amount of each color combination. I wonder if anyone has taken the time to sort the entire 1975 set by color combinations... and if so... which color combination was the most prevalent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like NightOwl Greg did that on his '75 set blog: http://75topps.blogspot.com/2011/09/set-in-review.html

      Delete
  2. Yes, reading your friendly 1975 Topps (it's far out, man) blog could have tipped you off.

    ReplyDelete