Saturday, April 24, 2021

Merrick Mint Colorized Quarters Cubs

 Today's Merrick items make much more sense.  Merrick Mint sold coins.  Actually, the coins were colorized state quarters.  


Each pack contained a colorized quarter, with the state matching the state of the player's team.  All my Cubs quarters are Illinois.  You also got a card of the player (I'll have more on the cards in future posts) and a state fact card.  

Read the bottom of the pack and you see that there are 36 players in the set.  


Except according to the TCBD there are 37 players in the set.  Let the confusion begin! 

Once again we have a fairly recent set with very sketchy information available.  The Standard Catalogue is no help.  My 2008 edition makes no mention of these 2005 coins.  The TCDB lists six Cubs out of the 37 players and I was able to get the coins of all six.

  

  

But wait, there's more!  In addition to this set, Merrick also put out a Signature Series.


The packaging changed as you could see who you were getting.  Unfortunately the packages doesn't mention how many players are in the set.  I've scoured the internet for a checklist and the closest I could find was this list on Beckett.  It shows that there are 15 Cubs.

Then I found a listing on Ebay that had the following for sale:


That's all 15 Cubs!  I could get them all in one fell swoop.  I swooped.

But wait, there's more... again!  The listing also included two more coins, in their packages.


Two more quarters that weren't on any checklist.  That makes a total of 17 different Cubs colorized quarters.  The quarters themselves are identical between the first set and the second.  Without the packaging you couldn't tell one from the other.  So for my purposes, there are 17 Cubs colorized quarters from Merrick Mint... unless I find more!

In addition to the six shown earlier in the post, below are the other 11 Cubs that I'm aware of.

  

   

   

  


No comments:

Post a Comment