Monday, August 22, 2022

My 2022 Topps Complete Set Has Arrived

My set arrived!  I now have the Topps set for 54 consecutive years.  This is the first time in many years that I bought the boxed factory set.  I had forgotten that the cards are not packed in the box in numerical order.  So I had to sort them and get them in order before...

... I could put them in the binder.

Some observations:

  • Topps didn't fix the alignment mistakes on some of the first series cards, so some of the backs of the pages in the binder, like the one above, look off.  My OCD does not like that!
  • Though there are 660 card in the set, there are actually 663 in the factory set.  There are two cards for numbers 658, 659, and 660.
  • The set also comes with a pack of five rookie variation cards.  I haven't decided if I want to keep the cards and add them to the binder or list the cards on eBay.
  • I would be ticked off if I was a Braves fan because there are no World Series cards.  The closest they came is a checklist card that is called "Postseason Passion.
  • These are the only cards I found that showed a player wearing stirrups.  That less than 1% of the cards.
  • Finally, I think Topps is being nasty to Cubs fans with this page.  It has four members of the 2016 World Series champs (Soler, Lester, Arrieta, and Schwarber), all with different teams.  Ouch!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, my wife is a CUbs fan and that last page would certainly raise her ire...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow, I don't think 2022 Topps will be one of the remembered as one of its finest efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There really is no incentive for Topps to put out a good product. Despite frequent complaints by bloggers in the blogosphere, most of them will still shell out money year after year for Topps' latest "effort".

    For most any other product (with the possible exception of perennially-bad sports teams) when buyers are continually dissatisfied, they stop buying that product. Not so here, and Topps knows it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew stirrups were becoming a thing of the past... but it got much more real when you pointed out the "less than 1%". I don't put this on Topps, but I'm bummed that they couldn't fix the alignment problem. Yup... I deal with OCD too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why were there 2 cards for #s 658 - 660?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The extras were factory set bonus cards, rookies that weren’t in series two, I think.

      Delete