Saturday, May 22, 2021

RIP Factory Team Set?

 In addition to the sticker set, it looks like Topps has dumped another long-time product.  The factory team sets are on the chopping block.

Topps has been putting out team sets in blister packs since 2006.  The first sets had 14 cards and over the years the set grew to include a total of 17 cards.  It was a nice way for the casual collector to get the cards of his team's top players without having to get a bunch of packs.  I would have loved this if it was available when I was a kid.

I'm assuming that the 15-year run was ended due to covid-related production difficulties.  If that is the case, then maybe it comes back next year when things get back to normal.

I collected all 15 of the Cubs sets.  There isn't much point in showing the cards since the designs are identical to the base set. The only difference is the numbering of the cards on the back.

Instead I'll show you what the blister pack's backing card looks like.  I used them to create year cards for the binders in which I stored the cards.




4 comments:

  1. I have had a saved eBay search for the 2007 Rockies set for several years. It is the only one I am missing. I know it exists, but nobody is selling it.

    This does suck if it is true though. I know a lot of people see it as redundant, but I like them. They give you a preview of Series 2 and sometimes there are unique cards. I think the Rockies averaged one unique card/image for every year and 2009 and 2010 were full of unique images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just assumed these were all eaten up by the flippers. I also hope they make a return next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting that Topps is getting rid of the low end stuff - stickers, team sets

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you're right and this is a one year vacation thing. I like picking up these team sets... especially when they feature some of the key rookies that year.

    ReplyDelete