Friday, December 18, 2020

The Price Guide Cards Rabbit Hole

 Reader Chad sent me a full street of cards from 1992 Ballstreet Journal.  He also told me that another package with more cards was coming.  

The Ballstreet cards aren't my first from price guides.  I also have the Cubs cards from Baseball Card Magazine and the SCD Price Guide.  I thought there were others so I started looking.  I went to TCDB and searched their multi-sport card listings from the late 1980s and early 1990s.  It was a fun search and I found several more.

Legends Memorabilia has cards in their price guides from 1990 through 1994.

American Sports Monthly gave out cards in 1991 and 1992.  The lone Cub in their sets was Ryne Sandberg in 1991 and I already had his card in my player collection.

Allan Kayes Sports Cards News included cards in 1991 and 1992.  There are four Cubs cards in the two    years.

The Sports Report  Cards were included in 1992 and 1993 and Ryne Sandberg has a card in each set.

Investors Journal  had a run of cards in their price guides from 1992 through 1996.  Ryno is the only Cub that mattered to them and he has eight cards in the 1992 and 1993 sets.

Diamond Sports Memorabilia This was a one and done in 1992 and it was Cubless

Sports Card Review They put out cards for two years, 1992 and 1993 and it too was Cubless

Regional Baseball Index (RBI)  There are cards from both  1991 and 1992.  A total of four Cubs were included.

Cartwrights Journal of Baseball Collectibles.  Several sets were put out in 1992 and 1993 with five Cubs cards on the checklist. 

Pocket Pages Card Show Digest  They had a set that was released in 1992 and 1993.  A Ryne Sandberg card was included.

My little trip down this rabbit hole gave me a nice list of Cubs cards to chase.

And then the package from Chad arrived and you wouldn't believe what was inside.


It's hard to read but this is one the two Sandberg cards in the 1993 Investors Journal set.  





These are all four of the Cubs cards from Regional Baseball Index (RBI).  The top Sandberg is from the prototype set.  Below it is Ryno's regular RBI set card.  The bottom two are from the 1992 set called Cactus League.


This final card is the one Cub in the 1991 Sports Report set.

So how bizarre was that?  Chad sent me down a rabbit hole and then fills several of the collection holes.  My readers are the best!

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff. I really enjoy magazine oddball cards from the 90's.
    I'm currently reading an issue of Allan Kayes Sports Cards News. Always fun to go back and read hobby related stuff from three decades ago.

    ReplyDelete